"We need to get our family pictures done, but I have 15-20 pounds I need to lose first." This is one of the most common excuses I hear from people who are considering having family portraits taken. Let's be honest, we women often find ourselves to be uncomfortable in our own skin...myself included. It is hard for me to get in front of the camera because quite frankly, I don't like the way I look. I want to tell you a few things that I have discovered since beginning on my photography journey.
1. I have found that you really NEED to exist in photographs. Don't do it for yourself; do it for your kids. Memories fade with time and when you are gone, your kids will LOVE having a visual history to accompany the memories they have of those special moments in your lives.
2. Your kids don't care that you are carrying a little extra weight. Heck, they probably don't even notice! I promise, your kids aren't going to yell, "Hey mom, the camera is out, you better hide that muffin top!" They love you for who you are.... their mom. So don't be shy, hop in front of the camera, pull a funny face and your kids will have a fun memory of you to hold on to forever.
3. Let's be honest, are you really going to lose that weight in the next month or two? Probably not if you're anything like me!! You will just continue to stand in front of the mirror staring at it hoping that by chance your eyes might turn into lipo-lasers and melt the fat away right then and there!
4. Since you aren't going to lose the weight, let your guard down and hop on in! Your kids will love it! Plus, what better example for your kids is there than their mom pushing past her own insecurities to enjoy a moment that would have passed you by had you let them get the best of you?
5. There is no need to stress regardless of your circumstances, Photoshop is a wonderful tool ;)
So, to all of you moms and grandmas out there, let's exist in photographs from here on out because our kids deserves it! I will be right here with you!