A dad's survival guide for family photos | Southern Utah Photographer
I know that there's the saying, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy," but I believe that also goes for dad as well as the kids! It's a team effort to keep the family happy especially on family picture day.
Dad, we all know that you don't always love getting your photo taken. I must say from my own experience however, most dads are good sports about it + I'm sure you are too!
I have only had one session that dad was griping about it all and I am here to tell ya that it plays into the mood of everyone in the family.
So, I thought I would write a little survival guide to help a dad out. So if your wife passes the phone and asks you to read something, you can thank me at your session!
Here are a few tips to keep the entire family happy + your wife's stress low:
01. Every year just know that your lady is probably going to ask you about a Family Session. If you are already anticipating it, it won't come as a shock or be something you dread. There are 364 days of freedom ahead!
02. Remember it's only one hour.... one hour out of a lot of hours in the year. If you book a Mini Session it's even less time... wink, wink!
03. Help get the kids excited about it. If you act excited and jazz them up they will also come with a great attitude and the session will be much more enjoyable for all.
We as women stress about clothes and kids behavior for months. When you have a bad attitude, it starts to rub off on everyone and the entire family arrives at the session in a grumpy mood.
When you help alleviate some of that stress and lighten the mood before heading out the door, it will be amazing!
04. Take this opportunity to teach your teenagers that are griping about it that this is something mom values and it's not always about them! I had one teen that was not nice and didn't want to be there.
It's a hard age and I feel a time in their lives when they think about what's in it for them. This is the perfect time to teach them that you only need a short amount of time from them to help you make mom happy + look outside of themselves.
05. Don't bribe your kids! I find that whenever parents bribe their kids for a session they just keep asking about it the entire time. It typically works for the older ones, but for younger kids, not so much.
I am quick + know what I need so you can tell them that you are going out to play for a little bit together!
06. I promise all will be well and if you help keep the mood light + stress low, you might get a little surprise at the end of the night too ;)